23/05/2015

ROTTERDAM // WHAT TO DO

This could be Rotterdam or anywhere... Liverpool or Rome... 'cause Rotterdam is anywhere... anywhere alone...

I know, I know where the hell is Rotterdam I hear you cry? Well, it is a lovely city in Holland. (If you knew where it was already, then 10 brownie points because I only recently found out!) It's not too far from Amsterdam so if you can shy away from the Dam for a short while it's worth a little visit. Oh and also don't think I'm going crazy... those words up there^^ are lyrics from a song - get to know.

Let's get down to the point of this post... just a little guide to what's hip hop and happening in the other Dam in Holland. Mainly featuring things I did so you guys can have some photo references.

-

                                                     WHERE TO GRAB A DRINK //

De Witte Aap


A cute little bar in a very arty farty area, which just so happened to be voted one of the "Best bars in the world!" Yes, you heard me correctly, best bar in the world. Despite this being a lovely place to sit in/outside and have a beer I don't know if I would give it that kind of status. Although if you don't have too high expectations and you are just looking for somewhere nice to grab a drink with a nice atmosphere, then this is probably the place for you.

-

WHERE TO EAT //

Fellini


Rotterdam is home to this magical, little (quite big) place called Markthal which is essentially an indoor, tastefully designed, market with lovely fresh food, drinks and yummy restaurants. I have tried a few of the bits of food from the different counters but we ate dinner at a lovely little Italian restaurant located to one side of the Market. I would definitely recommend... great wine and a yummy Prawn Noir Tagliatelle! People have previously commented on the fact I am a bit of a food snob but I would just say I am more of a lover of good food.. so if you're after some, head here. Plus I have been to an endless amount of Italian restaurants and considering it's not located in Italy - they have done a pretty good job. 

-

WHERE TO STAY //

Citizen M



                                          
We stayed in the cutest Hotel called Citizen M in Rotterdam - definitely one worth staying in! They class themselves as offering affordable luxury and I would agree. I loved their little random touches around the hotel like the quotes on the walls and also little notes to the guests. For example as you walk into the hotel there is a mat on the floor which says "Citizen M says nice shoes." I am always a fan of seeing a hotel or brand do something different. The hotel is sophisticated with quirky designs dotted around. Anything from their spiral staircase to funky furniture.

-

WHAT TO SEE //

The Architecture




My impression of Rotterdam was that it is home to a lot of different architecture that makes you stop in your stride and take a quick photo - like you can see this is something I did a few times. The view across the river looking at the buildings isn't quite a New York skyline scene but is pretty lovely. Talking of New York there is Hotel New York in Rotterdam which is worth paying a visit to. It is one of the oldest buildings in Rotterdam and even has water taxis at the ready to take you from the opposite side of the river to it. (Warning: The water taxi experience is quite a wild ride.) 

-

WHERE TO GET COFFEE //

Fenix Food Factory & Posse



There are two great warehouse/factory like places which are great to grab a good cup of coffee when you are in need. Both places have great decor, offer something different when it comes to surroundings and also have a cool atmosphere when you're sitting either in or outside. What makes things even easier is that they are around the corner from each other. This sign couldn't be any more right...


-

WHAT TO WEAR //

Layers

Rotterdam is still pretty chilly in the months approaching summer so it is definitely still worth grabbing your coat and scarf for the ride, because if you are anything like me in terms of feeling the cold, you won't be happy without a coat!


I hope this post came in a little handy for anyone thinking of visiting Holland/ Rotterdam. If you've been before - where do you like to visit?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Melrose & Me..
Blog design by Labina Studio.